Sunday, September 1, 2013

Oedipus Rex: Fate vs. Free Will

Below are three quotes on the topic of "fate".  Please write a paragraph response to any of the three quotes below.  In your response, be sure to reference the quote you are writing about.

"For whatever reasons, Ray, call it...fate, call it luck, call it karma. I believe everything happens for a reason. I believe that we were destined to get thrown out of this dump." Dr. Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters (1984)
"Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart." Marcus Aurelius, last of the "Five Good Emperors" during the Roman Empire 
"I do not believe in a fate that will fall on us no matter what we do. I do believe in a fate that will fall on us if we do nothing."  Ronald Reagan, 40th President of the United States

Use the questions bulleted below to jumpstart your thinking.
  • Your emotional response to the quote, if it made you feel a certain way.
  • Something that the quote reminded you of or made you consider.
  • Your opinion as to the accuracy of the claim in the quote--do you agree or disagree with what is being said?
  • Your interpretation of the quote.

6 comments:

  1. unkben
    perter with geat power come great repbllte.
    mr.lerthking jr
    I had a drem all berthers ,sherters where eqel well use the same bathrooms,eat in the same resteronts,well live in the same nooberhood.
    gondy
    kunfilt is bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the Dr.Peter Venkman quote, he say's that everything happens for a reason, which i think is definitely true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris Lant, http://chrislant.blogspot.com/

    I think the quote by Ronald Reagan is the most inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also belive everything happens for a reason, our destiny depends on our fate. Everything you do was ment to happen by fate so wouldn't you have to love everything in the pass? If we do nothing then we can't follow our destiny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the second topic,because it sounds more like what fate is.
    It also is destined to help the character out in the journey when they are out in the wilderness.They also have to make sure that everything is safe so that they won't die really early in the beginning?The quote I chose reminded me of the other stories that I have read, it was a cool story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first quote made me think about how everything you do happens for an important reason. It reminded me of karma because karma can happen to anyone that does anything good or bad. I agree with what is being said because everything does happen for an important reason.

    ReplyDelete